Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Emergent Church - Introduction

"For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3,4

I recently completed a comprehensive book by Bob DeWaay focused on "un-masking" the Emergent Church. I was one of the many who have struggled to understand their message, but DeWaay and his book "The Emergent Church - Undefining Christianity" have sharpened the lens in which I view the apostate church of the 21st century. DeWaay has done a great job in teasing out many of its origins, belief systems, and points of interest surrounding this movement. I say all of this because I recently completed teaching a Biblical Worldview course and when I mentioned the Emergent Church ... I was met with many different reactions - confusion, frustration, bewilderment, and even anger.

So, like any good teacher, I went to find a resource that could help the class. DeWaay's book was my "go-to" publication. God has truly equipped Pastor DeWaay regarding this movement/topic and his writings are critical in trying to grasp what the Emergent Church is all about. He has spoken and had conversations with many of their leaders, attended their conferences, and debated them in a public forum. In my opinion, other than the Holy Scriptures, there is no better resource than Bob DeWaay and his ministry. You can search on your own at Critical Issues Commentary or visit the web page of Twin City Fellowship.

I knew that there was no way that the class would read 200 pages of academically intense material in a matter of 12 days . . . but, DeWaay has done something in this book that allows for even the most novice of researchers to begin to get a handle on the Emergent Church. DeWaay has proceeded each chapter with an "abstract" describing and detailing the main points that you are about to read.

What I did for our class was to put the abstracts into outline form. By doing this, it allowed for each participant to have some type of resource in their hands regarding the Emergent Church. What they have done with the information or are doing with it now is between them and our Lord. Anyway, I spoke with Pastor DeWaay to see if he was agreeable to having me post the outline on this site ... he agreed and here we are! I apologize for the long lead-in, but it was necessary. What I will be doing is posting 2 to 3 chapter outlines from his book within each entry. I pray that this will benefit someone and that you will join in the fight to proclaim TRUTH and fight against the heresy that among us all.
Blessings -
GutCheck Ministries













No comments: