Saturday, April 21, 2012

David Barton ... Telling Lies about Jefferson

See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ - Colossians 2:8



David Barton (self professed Christian and historian) has recently published a book entitled "The Jefferson Lies".  Discerning readers only need to look at who composed the foreword (none other than LDS Mormon Glenn Beck) to know what "lies" ahead of them as the thumb through the pages.  I once admired and looked up to David for his "historical perspective" and his deep admiration for the founding of our nation.  Admittedly, I was caught up in the romance of his mythology and worse, I thought he was biblical.  Then I started to READ for myself and began to research the "historical evidence" that David gave in his presentations ... what I fool I had been!  I quickly came to learn that David was only giving half the story ... And, the side of the story that he was proclaiming - was dramatically out of context.  With the "The Jefferson Lies", Barton does his magic to portray Thomas Jefferson as a Christian ... something that is clearly NOT TRUE!

The bottom-line for me ... I can no longer sit back and listen to David Barton and the lies he is weaving (and has already weaved) within our churches. Not only is Barton's message devastating ... his target audience, which are made up of Evangelical Christians, are hanging on his every word and for the most part buying into his false view of history. If you doubt what I just said, answer this question - what will be the largest group to purchase Barton's latest book?  I am sure many home school families already have it in their libraries and are devouring its contents to teach to countless unaware and trusting children - what a shame! 

What convicted me the most has been our laziness (as a Christian community) regarding United States history.  We took what David Barton said as gospel and for the most part ... never really studied or researched what he said in context.  With blind faith, we opened our doors and let him speak from our pulpits - that mistake is on us and we must take responsibility for it - And, promise to be dilligent to speak out against false teaching ... (Acts 17:11)

As I compose this post my mind is racing ... I do not know where to start, what to say or what direction to lead you???  The lies and misdirection(s) are numerous and in no way could be covered in one post on a simple blog.  Here is my plea - Churches stop having this man occupy your pulpits and present to your congregations ... He is a wolf that has been let loose in the pasture.  He is deceiving people by the thousands and I can no longer sit on the sideline and watch .... You shouldn't either!

Think about this for a second ... We (the Christian/Conservative community) have sat and listened to David Barton for years.  We have been mezmorized by his smooth delivery regarding the Founding Fathers, the Constitution and how it all goes back to the scripture.  We fell in love with the story and never bothered to get serious about researching his claims for ourselves - BUT, the un-believing world did AND they knew that for the most-part, we were wrong !!!!! 

Ladies and Gentlemen, if we cannot get our history correct ... how in the world can we expect them to believe us when we proclaim Christ and Him crucified ?????

At this point, I still have many unanswered questions ... I am struggling with feelings of resentment toward Barton, but I also must sift through many feelings of shame due to the fact that I was once deceived and proclaimed his message to people that trusted my opinion ... for that I am sorry!  Over the next few weeks I will be diligently researching many things related to Barton and his view of history - WILL YOU DO THE SAME?  In the meantime, I have provided some "nuggets" that might jump start your research ... I hope they are useful ....

1. David Barton Lies About Jesus and Taxes - Fighting for the Faith / Chris Rosebrough
(listener note ... go to 41:21 of the podcast ... segment begins at 41:21 thru 1:02:25)

2.  The Christian Advocate by Ashbel Green (pgs 78, 135, 194, 246 and 305) .... Green was in the inner circle of the Founding Father's.  Green was also an outspoken opponent of the views of one Thomas Jefferson - Barton never gives his audience the perspective of Green ... why not?

3. Fox News Report ... Easter Sunday 2012 ... Jefferson denies the Resurrection - click here

4. GBTV - The Jefferson Lies w/David Barton - click here

5. Warren Throckmorton - GBTV Follow-Up - The Jefferson Lies w/David Barton - click here
6. "The Jefferson Bible" .... view it here

7. Chris Pinto - Noise of Thunder Radio - Radio Archives ... The Jefferson Lies - click here

8. Chris Pinto - Noise of Thunder Radio - Articles ... The Founding Fathers - click here

9. Chris Pinto - Adullam Films - Documentary ... Hidden Faith of the Founding Fathers - click here
(scroll to 1:45:26 in the film ...)

10. WVW - Brannon Howse and Chris Pinto - The Jefferson Lies/Book Review - P1 - click here
    WVW - Brannon Howse and Chris Pinto - The Jefferson Lies/Book Review - P2 - click here

11. Library of Congress ... read the letters of Jefferson in context - The Jefferson Papers

No comments: