Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Christianity According to John - 10 Hallmarks of a Christian

Recently, I have been thinking about what it means to be a Christian? What does it really mean to be a follower of Jesus Christ? Does my life, my behavior, and speech reflect what I believe in my heart? I know I am not the only one who has ever posed these questions, but for many reasons I could not come to any satisfactory conclusions.

I came across a presentation that I attended 3 years ago that attempted to provide some answers to those questions mentioned above. The presentation included 10 hallmarks or signs of a Christian. The book of focus was I John and the hallmarks/signs submitted were convicting to say the least. Praise God for bringing this presentation back to my attention. My challenge to all of you out there is this;

(1) Review the 10 hallmarks below . . .
(2) Read, Study, and Pray over the scripture verses provided . . .
(3) Go to the Father in prayer and ask Him for wisdom and discernment concerning your own life.

I know I will be on my face in the coming days . . . . .

10 HALLMARKS of a CHRISTIAN
1. They admit they are a sinner (1 John 1:8)
2. They live a life of obedience more than disobedience (1 John 2:3-6, 3:6, 5:2)
3. They do not harbor hatred, but offer compassion (1 John 2:9, 2:11, 3:15, 4:16, 4:20)
4. They do not love the world or the world system (1 John 2:15)
5. They proclaim Christ as the Son of God (1 John 4:15)
6. They long for their return home to the Father (1 John 3:2-3)
7. They desire to serve and help other Christians (1 John 3:17, 3:14)
8. They enjoy being with other believers (1 John 5:1)
9. They reject false teaching (I John 2:22-23)
10. They remain in the truth and persevere in the faith (1 John 2:24)

No comments: